With the Charlotte-based startup, Digitize.AI, making its mark in the Metropolitan area of North Carolina, I knew it was appropriate to interview the man behind the business.
I’ve been interning with Digitize.AI for nearly two months and it’s been an amazing time watching the business grow from the ground up. I wanted to take a moment to learn more about our leadership team, and I thought it would be just as important for you to learn more too!
Take a moment, relax, and enjoy this informal interview with our CEO, Justin Adams.
I spoke with Justin on February 7th, in our office in Uptown Charlotte to learn more about his professional and personal life.
You can find my questions bolded and Justins answers italicized.
1. What does success look like to you?
Living a life of consequence
2. What's your go-to for inspiration?
I’m very devoted to my faith, my inspiration comes from the Bible
3. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Attending my kids' extracurricular events and watching tv with my wife
4. What's one skill you'd love to master?
Speaking Cantonese fluently
5. What keeps you up at night?
Most recently, the combination of jambalaya and red wine
6. What have you learned this year that is a surprise?
The importance of having a mission statement that is more than just words. I recommend every business, family and person have a separate mission statement. I'm a big believer in the old adage that “if you aim at nothing, you hit it every time"
7. Where were you working before Digitize.AI?
I was a partner at a management consulting firm
8. What are the most important decisions you make as a leader of your organization?
9. What advice would you get to your 20-year-old self? What do you think you would like to tell your current self 10 years from now?
Three things for 20 year old self 1) be your authentic self, even if that is uncomfortable in your current work environment 2) Focus on your strengths, don't nitpick your weaknesses 3) It is more important to be kind than be right
Current self ten years from now - take more risks
10. What's the biggest vulnerability of the company?
That we don't move quickly enough or execute well enough to take advantage of this gigantic opportunity we have
11. What do you want for the employees of this company?
To work in an environment where they can be their authentic self. Not having to hide part of themselves somewhere where they spend the majority of their waking hours. For them to be proud of building a firm that leaves behind a legacy of trust, transparency, and courage.
Reading and playing basketball/golf (honestly though my hobby time has decreased 90 percent or more since starting Digitize)
13. Night Owl or Early Riser?
Night owl naturally but caffeine-induced early riser
14. What's your favorite book of all time?
The Bible but since I already mentioned I'll go with Pensees by Blaise Pascal
15. What's the best thing that happened to you last week?
My daughter telling me after a fracas round of My Little Ponies, "you're the kind of daddy that likes to play"
16. Biggest fear?
17. What's the best way to start your day?
18. What are some things that you've had to unlearn?
The definition of success and the true meaning of "happiness"
19. What are you most looking forward to in the next 10 years?
Shepherding my children into adulthood and helping to build a company that adds value to our employees, clients, shareholders and community